About Me

My photo
Well I suppose I am or at least used to be like everybody else, sort of. Used to do the thing that society wants us to, The Rat Race. For years I dreamt about exotic locations after watching the travel channel, thinking that some day I would love to go their or do that. Until the beginning of this year (5 Jan 2010), it was not planned or a new year’s resolution, it just happened. I cancelled all my TV subscriptions and pulled out all cables, literally threw them away. After this I drove down to a local scuba centre and signed up for my first scuba course. Let us fast forward to today, I have quite my job sold my vehicle. What now? TRAVEL BABY, SCUBA TRAVEL!!!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Redang Kalong is a well oiled resort...

I have been here for 9 days now and have observed the following so far.

The resort caters mostly for locals but there is no reason why international divers and non divers alike should not come here. It is really quiet and peaceful as it is the only resort on this beach so no noise pollution from others. If you are looking for a break and want to go somewhere where you can do absolutely do nothing then this is the place.

All meals are included in diver and non diver packages so you do not have to budget for food expenses and yes the food is more than enough and good (if you like Asian food). There is also unlimited supply of water, juice and tea or coffee available 24hour.

They also have a small shop that sells limited snacks and drinks, beer is available.

This is a very well run and organized resort I find myself in, everything here runs like a Swiss watch.

Breakfast is from 07h30 – 08h30
First dive is at 08h30
Morning snorkelling is from 09h15 – 11h30
Second dive is at 11h30
Lunch is from 13h00 – 14h00
Afternoon snorkelling is from 14h15 – 16h30
Third dive is at 15h30
Tea break is from 16h30 -17h30 (snacks included)
Night dive (when requested) is at 19h00 at the house reef
Dinner is from 19h30 - 20h30


To accommodate divers, snorkelers, ferry runs to and from Redang airport Jetty (8min away) and Merang Jetty (45min away) you need some good transportation in place not to mention the restocking of supplies as we are situated on an island after all.
This is no problem for Redang Kalong Resort also known as The Diver’s Den; they have no less than 9 boats.

3 dive boats of which 2 has got a 250Hp and the other a 300Hp 4 stoke motor
2 transfer boats for between jetties, 1 with a 250Hp and the other with 2 x 250Hp 4 stroke motors
2 big wooden boats for snorkelling with inboard motors
2 small dinky boats for general commuting each with 30Hp motors



The level of dive training provided is from the top shelf, open water courses are run in 4 days not 3 days like most resorts lately. This makes the entire experience more enjoyable and the new diver does not feel so rushed and tired, SCUBA should be fun and relaxing after all.

Now let me tell you this, I have been on a 7 day live aboard safari before and would much rather choose 7 days in a place like this. Best of all it would cost you much less than the live aboard and you would have much more fun.

Well enough rambling; time for some more pictures of the dive centre that is located basically on the beach and almost next to your room…J.


Watch this space for more updates…

No comments:

Post a Comment